From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Development Task and Priorities (was Re: Print on demand using FOP)
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:17:12 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:

I love it when you rattle a list off like this. I really ought to
capture this and put it on the website somewhere, along with a priority.

> There are a few things to do, though, including, but not
> limited to:
> - Justified text (killer!)
High
> - Multi-column layout
High
> - Footnotes
Medium
> - Positioned blocks, both absolute and relative
High for absolute, Medium for relative
> - Keeps
High
> - Floats of all kind
Low
> - Collapsed borders
Low (even RenderX doesnt have this)
> - Fine-tuning all other borders
Low (or this)
> - Background images
High
> - Fine-tuning line breaking and hyphenation
Medium
> - Conditional space suppression
High
> - Last page layout
Medium
> - Reparenting retrieved markers
High
> - BIDI
Low
> - Aligned leaders, especially in justified text
Medium
> - Basically all non-PDF renderers
High for Postscript, all others are Low
> Most of these are "must haves" for XSLFO compliance.

Of course, priorities are just my opinion, but I think we need to do all
the highs in order to do an initial release, 0.5.0?

> More improvements on the list (way down...)
> - Metadata extensions
> - Print control extensions
> - OMR extensions
> - Outline/bookmark control extensions
> - Image retrival and cache control extensions
> - User selectable line breaking strategy
> - Fine-tuning vertical block justification, especially in
>  multi column layouts
> - TeX style, grey value controlled block filling

Chris