From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Print on demand using FOP
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:55:04 GMT
Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> My java skills are virtually non-existent, I'm afraid :-). Is there any
> kind of road-map/status information up for the FOP dev branch, or is it
> just a question of checking out the CVS and trying it out?

Most of the skeleton features are in place, there are even some
features more completely implemented than in 0.20.5 (specifically
inline areas, horizontal alignment within lines, PDF encryption,
various SVG improvements)

There are a few things to do, though, including, but not
limited to:
- Justified text (killer!)
- Multi-column layout
- Footnotes
- Positioned blocks, both absolute and relative
- Keeps
- Floats of all kind
- Collapsed borders
- Fine-tuning all other borders
- Background images
- Fine-tuning line breaking and hyphenation
- Conditional space suppression
- Last page layout
- Reparenting retrieved markers
- BIDI
- Aligned leaders, especially in justified text
- Basically all non-PDF renderers
Most of these are "must haves" for XSLFO compliance.

More improvements on the list (way down...)
- Metadata extensions
- Print control extensions
- OMR extensions
- Outline/bookmark control extensions
- Image retrival and cache control extensions
- User selectable line breaking strategy
- Fine-tuning vertical block justification, especially in
  multi column layouts
- TeX style, grey value controlled block filling

Have fun!

J.Pietschmann