From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: NPE in Batik/awt
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:06:56 GMT
Richard Mixon (qwest) wrote:

> I am using a combination of fop/batik to generated PDF's from SVG (XML) in a Tomcat 5/IBM
Java 1.4/SuSE Linux 8 for AMD64
> environment. Batik uses awt calls which is why I am also using PJA as the IBM JDK 1.4
on SuSE does not support
> the -Djava.awt.headless=true option.

I'm not familar with PJA

> I am using the pja-2.5beta and getting the following exception in some cases. Any ideas
on how to fix this? The NPE does not
> reference a PJA class from what I can tell, so I am not sure it is a PJA problem or a
Batik/FOP problem. Here's the exception:

What are the some cases you refer to? Is it completely random or is
there a pattern to it? The pattern may be the clue required to solve the
problem.

As a guess I would say the problem is with the JDK because the key part
of the stack trace

         at java.awt.geom.GeneralPath.append(GeneralPath.java(Compiled
Code))
         at java.awt.geom.GeneralPath.append(GeneralPath.java:309)
         at
org.apache.batik.gvt.CompositeShapePainter.getPaintedBounds2D(CompositeShapePainter.java:151)
         at
org.apache.batik.gvt.ShapeNode.getPrimitiveBounds(ShapeNode.java(Compiled
Code))

clearly shows the java.awt.geom.GeneralPath method to be at fault. I
suggest you speak to the vendor of PJA.

<snip/>

Chris