From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Image size
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:59:48 GMT
On Mar 8, 2004, at 1:50 AM, Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Muthukumar Rajaram wrote:
>> I am generating a graph dynamically and placing it in the PDF by
>> construcing the fo file with the help of the tag "external-graphic".
>> The image is generated dynamically and the width and height varies.
>> In the
>> width and height attributes, i am not able to give the exact value
>> due to
>> this reason.
>> Any input in this...
>
> You dont actually state what your problem is. It isnt mandatory to
> specify width and height on external-graphic. However, without width
> and height specified FOP outputs the image at 72dpi. I guess your
> problem is the quality of the image is very poor.
>
> There isnt a workaround in general.
>
> Chris

The workaround for me (with regard to the 72dpi image problem) has been
to create a JPG with a resolution of 300dpi (note: large file size),
and then scale the image down if necessary. This produces high
resolution logos for placement in our FOP-rendered pages without
pixelation.

Probably the most important thing to remember about adding
external-graphics to FOP-rendered pages is this:

IIRC, FOP has a bug in it causing it to go into an infinite loop, if
the graphic is too large to fit on a page.

Good luck!

Web Maestro Clay