From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: [OT] Windows spool file size
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:25:48 GMT
Sorry. GDI basically represents the graphics API from Windows and EMF is
the file representation of a sequence of calls to this graphics API. The
advantage to serialize the GDI calls is simply to have a format that can
be saved and reproduced. In most Windows setups, when you print to a
remote printer, you application generates GDI commands which are
serialized to EMF by Windows and sent to a remote (or local) spooler.
From the spooler the printer driver (a DLL) is called, the EMF once
again converted into a series of GDI calls which the printer driver
converts to the printers native language. Some printers can work with
GDI calls directly so (I think) they directly get the EMF file which
they print out.

The biggest resource, of course, is the Microsoft developer network
(MSDN):
http://msdn.microsoft.com
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/graphics/hh/graphics/drvarch_9cpz.asp

You should find plenty of useful information there.

On 15.03.2004 22:58:27 Prabhat Kumar (IT) wrote:
> you lost me there. I was with you till the GDI part. Is there an
> advantage to serializing GDI to EMF? It's probably elementary, but
> pointers to resources will be greatly appreciated.

Jeremias Maerki