From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: [OT] Windows spool file size
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:51:41 GMT
It can't really be controlled. PDF is a very compact format (it uses a
lot of compression). When you print it on Windows a lot of so-called GDI
(Graphics Device interface, I think) commands are generated which can be
serialized as EMF files (enhanced metafiles). The printer driver
converts GDI/EMF to the printer's language (PCL, PS or even GDI directly).
These formats are usually a lot bigger than PDF. So the spool file size
mostly depends on the printer driver (or printer language) and the size
of your document.

On 15.03.2004 22:36:39 Prabhat Kumar (IT) wrote:
> Does anyone know if the spool file size can be controlled, if at all?
> We use FOP to generate PDF reports and a 60KB PDF file generates a spool
> file 10 times that size on Windows. What does spool file size depend on?

Jeremias Maerki