From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Misaligned text columns
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:14:32 GMT
FBartlet@wiley.com wrote:
> I'm trying to set a document in two columns using fop (0.20.5).
> Unfortunately, when the two columns do not have exactly the same amount of
> material, the baselines of the first lines of the two columns do not align.
> They can be as much as 1.5 lines off.
>
> fop does not seem to have implemented .minimum and .maximum (or
> .conditionality or .precedence) in space-before and space-after, so the
> vertical spaces in the columns are constant rather than mutable. This seems
> to be at least part of the problem; leastwise, mucking about with 'stretch'
> and 'shrink' values doesn't seem to help..
Correct.

However, I wonder why you get the effect. There is a bug which
prevents FOP from discarding display space at the edge of a
reference area, i.e. at the column top, however, unless the
new column also starts a new block with some non-zero space-before,
the text should be aligned.

BTW the spec is rather hazy about alignment in multi-column
layout. There are alignment options for lists and tables, but
I don't remember there was much said about aligning the first
lines of neighboring columns. Aligning the last lines would be
great too. There are, however, more pressing issues with the code.

J.Pietschmann