From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: getting a duplicate image in a short file
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 13:09:25 GMT

On 06.05.2003 14:08:16 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 6 May 2003, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > Yup. CVS tag "fop-0_20_2-maintain" as described here:
> > http://xml.apache.org/fop/dev/index.html
>
> ironically, i just figured that out.  so to clarify the
> differences between the branches and possible downloads:
>
> 1) 0.20.5rc2 is the current release candidate.  these
>    release candidates are fixed and are not updated until
>    the next release candidate (upcoming rc3, if i read
>    things correctly)

correct.

> 2) the maintenance branch (referred to above) represents
>    no more than bug fixes to the current release candidate,
>    and should be able to be dropped in place of the current
>    RC without breaking anything.

You could see it that way. It's the place in CVS where we keep the code
for the "old FOP". When we do a release a snapshot from there gets
promoted. At least until 0.20.5 is out.

> 3) the "redesign" branch (and i may be getting this wrong)
>    represents ongoing work from the current release candidate
>    and will eventually become the next RC, yes?

No. The redesign ("new FOP") is another development line than the
maintenance branch. About one and a half years ago the trunk got tagged
(fop-0_20_2-maintain) and maintenance (and some enhancements) was
continued on that branch. The trunk (or HEAD) became the redesign then
where more drastic changes were done. After 0.20.5 the maintenance
branch will be frozen, no further developement will be done. Development
focuses on the trunk. And as soon as we're ready in the trunk the next
release (or release candidate) will be coming from the trunk again.

>    it's more
>    than just big fixes; obviously it represents new features,
>    but there's no guarantee that you can just drop it in
>    place of the current release candidate.

Yes, although we will need to reestablish backwards-compatibility so you
should be able to drop it in place of releases from the maintenance
branch.

>    (and this is
>    the branch represented by the "xml-fop" download
>    directory, yes?)

Not sure what you mean.

> and the only way to get the current maintenance version
> is via CVS.

Yes. Or in other words: CVS always has the latest code, either for the
maintenance branch or the trunk. But we don't guarantee that code from
CVS always works. That's what the releases are for.

>   how much of that did i get right? :-)

Pretty much, obviously.

Jeremias Maerki