From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: Seeking advice on HSSF
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 18:13:20 GMT
I see. Please do have a look at the Example*.java files. They don't use
XSLTInputHandler anymore. Just plain JAXP as you are used to. Going via
DOM just means you generate quite a lot of little objects which slows
the JVM and uses up memory.

On 01.05.2003 19:50:59 Savino, Matt C wrote:
> Thanks Jeremias. I think the main reason we are parsing the fodoc into a DOM is so we
can serialize the FO out to a file for debugging (it's either that or do the transformation
twice). I'm actually in the process of altering the HSSF stuff now so I can debug the GMR
output. On your adive I will change both of them back to a stream source for production. Although
I seem to remember experimenting extensively when we first started with SAX vs. DOM input
sources using the FOP XSLTInputHandler, SAXHandler, etc. As I recall, we didn't see much difference
in performance. But I will try it again for this round and let you know how it goes. Actually
here is the old commented out code from these tests:

>       File xmlFile  = new File(xmlFilename);
>       File xsltFile = new File(xsltFilename);
>       org.apache.fop.apps.InputHandler inputHandler2 = new org.apache.fop.apps.XSLTInputHandler(xmlFile,
xsltFile);
>       org.xml.sax.XMLReader parser2 = inputHandler2.getParser();
>       driver.render(parser2, inputHandler2.getInputSource());
>
> Is there a more efficient method I should try?

Jeremias Maerki