From Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>
Subject Re: breaking paragraphs and lines
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 10:24:01 GMT
Stephen Haberman wrote:

> 2) Run this result through a text manipulation program to replace all of
> the \n\n with </fo:block><fo:block> to simulate a paragraph break.
>
> 3) Run this result through FOP.
>
> I'm thinking this will work once I get some scripts setup for it, but
> I'm just wondering if there is a better, within-FO/FOP way?
Processing xml as text is kinda dangerous, especially when you are trying to
fiddle with tags, I believe a better and more safe way is to handle \n\n stuff
one stage earlier - during fo generation, that's pretty simple in xslt to
tokenize string into blocks by any delimiter, trivial recursive template can
do that.

> Also, a subset of this problem is that I was wanting to have a little
> bit of control over breaking from the XML file, e.g. force a line break.
> E.g.:
>
> <content>
>    This is a long line that I want broken<br/>here.
> </content>
Search in the archive - that's faq, you can use either <block/> or unicode
line separator (&#x2028;).

> <xsl:template match="br">
>   <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">
>     &lt;/fo:block&gt;
>     &lt;fo:block&gt;
>   </xsl:text>
> </xsl:template>
Wrong way, disable-output-escaping implies serialization of a result tree
hence doesn't work otherwise, e.g. in mozilla, cocoon and fop. This facility
is for generating text (e.g. SQL), but not markup.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team