From Keiron Liddle <kei...@aftexsw.com>
Subject Re: FOP memory consumption
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 07:50:15 GMT
On 2002.05.01 16:34 Bernd Brandstetter wrote:
> So, I have two questions/suggestions:
> 1) Wouldn't it be possible to let FOP create the output in two steps like
>
> for instance (La)TeX does. Doing a dry run first only to calculate the
> page references, store them somewhere, and then produce the actual output
>
> in a second run.

As outlined on this page this is the approach that we are heading for:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/design/optimise.html

This should make any size document possible.

> 2) Are there plans to port FOP to C/C++ sometime? I guess that at least
> part of the memory consumption is to be blamed on Java and IIRC the
> underlying Xerces and Xalan are already available as C++ versions, so why
> not FOP?

The issue of implementing FOP is not about the language. Since using java
means we already have a large number of services available and reduced
debugging effort then this is a logical choice (this doesn't prevent other
choices).

The issue is dealing with the large number of elements, properties and
layout issues.
Once the real problem is solved then it will be a more relevant question.