From "Eric Douglas" <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
Subject RE: How to translate characters?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 18:44:33 GMT
I see.  As I said I saw something in the FOP classes which appeared to be looking for such
a code and translating it, but I just pulled up a .FO file and I see it's already translated
to be <fo:inline>□</fo:inline> so there must be something in the Oracle Transformer.
So it seems FOP just gets the actual square and still has to know what character it maps to
in the font.

So I'm trying to pass in this text ("&#x25A1;") and get it to display with Java's Graphics2D.drawText().
So I'm wondering if I translate that the same way I do to create this FO, with an XSL file
and a Transformer or if there's a simpler method.
So I'm looking at the class java.nio.charset.Charset trying to figure out if or how that connects
to a custom font file.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher R. Maden [mailto:crism@maden.org]
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 1:56 PM
To: fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to translate characters?

On 09/02/2011 01:40 PM, Eric Douglas wrote:
> I pass a character into my XML/FO as &#x25A1; and it shows on the PDF
> as a square.
> I'm trying to figure out what Java has for interpreting such code, and
> it appears FOP just string searches and pulls out the number, in the
> class org.apache.xmlgraphics.fonts.Glyphs.
> Is this all it is, to search text for "&#" and ";" and find the
> character value between, or is there an actual Java class/method for
> translating such values?

By the time FOP gets this information, the XML has been parsed.
&#x25a1; is just a convenient way of entering the single character with Unicode value
25A1, □, WHITE SQUARE.  Equivalents would be &#9633; or (with common ISO entity declarations)
&squ; - in all cases, FOP just receives a single character, □.

FOP then attempts to find which of the specified fonts actually has a glyph for that character,
and does so using the numeric Unicode value of the character, but that is independent of how
the input XML (which FOP does not see) specified the character.  If you’re looking at altering
or overriding the code, you need to operate in the character domain, not the XML markup domain.

(By analogy, FOP receives elements, root-in-the-FO-namespace etc., not the string “<fo:root
...”.  This is the same kind of thing.)

~Chris
--
Chris Maden, text nerd  <URL: http://crism.maden.org/ > “The present tendency and
drift towards the Police State gives all  free Americans pause.” - Alabama Supreme Court,