From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: Maintaining the list of contributors
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:07:07 GMT
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 02:13:16PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> You're right. I think there's a lot of inconsistency here. So, why not
> keep it VERY simple?
>
> 1. Wipe the team page clean.
> 2. Add a paragraph with a alphabetically sorted, comma-separated list of
> names of contributors (without mail addresses, includes committers). The
> listing would be regardless of the amount of work on FOP. If need be,
> the committers in bold.
> 3. Add a link to
> http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#xmlgraphics-fop
> (which, unfortunately, doesn't contain the list of committers before the
> move from CVS to SVN).

This list only contains the current committers, not past ones. I
prefer the list of inactive committers to stay. Committers are not
just a special type of contributors; they manage FOP's source code
repository.

> 4. Possibly restore the note about FOP's founder.
>
> No more active or inactive contributors/committers (is he still active?
> is he not?...). Every committer makes sure that the names of

Committers are made inactive according to the rules in the project
charter. The PMC Chair applies those rules. I did that during the past
year.

> contributors make it to the contributor list. We know who the candidates
> for committership are from our daily work. I think that would increase
> fairness and maintainability of the team list. And it allows to remove
> all author tags and comments in a fair way. If any committer thinks that
> the amount of recognition for the project is important, we can always
> add a link to the Ohloh page of FOP which does a much better job at
> telling who contributed how much and when.
>
> That an idea?

I like the list of contributors, because subversion and bugzilla do
not easily reveal that information.

Simon