From Max Berger <...@berger.name>
Subject Re: Q: What should happen when an image is not found?
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:45:25 GMT
Dear Fop devs,

On Mit, 2008-02-20 at 10:24 +0000, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> >> A PI could mean: From this point on in the whole document.
> >> HOWEVER: If fop currently uses no PIs (I am not sure about this), then
> >> it should be a fox: extension, to make all behavior similar.
> >
> > Indeed, we don't use PIs at the moment. And I'm not sure we should. I
> > wonder how many people know how to work with them.

Probably very few - and if fop does not use them, it is not consistent
to start using them.

> Adrian made the suggestion some time ago of using the fo:declarations
> element to override configuration on a per-document basis:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-users/200801.mbox/%3c478CE959.9050504@cumiskey.com%3e

This idea sounds really reasonable and consitent. Please note however,
that XSL fo specified (color-profile)+ as content for fo:declarations at
some point, which would make some documents non-conformant. So +1 for
this one :)

> >> As for the size:
> >>
> >> - Always use the size given if given.
> >>
> >> Either:
> >> - a 0.0001 x 0.0001 pt empty transparent image OR
> >
> > Would have to be at least 0.001x0.001pt as this is our minimal
> > resolution. ;-) Feels very HTML-like...
> >
> >> - A missing image image, about 1x1 cm: should have a border and a red
> >> "x" (as seen in web browsers, etc.)
> >
> > I think I'd prefer this. It's still a change in FOP's behaviour. But so
> > many people don't read or ignore FOP's log output, visual feedback is
> > probably a good idea.
>
> +1

ok, sounds good. +1

> Vincent

mfG

Max Berger
e-mail: max@berger.name

--
OpenPG ID: E81592BC   Print: F489F8759D4132923EC4 BC7E072AB73AE81592BC
For information about me and my work please see http://max.berger.name