From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Configuration file problems
Date Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:57:54 GMT

On 10.09.2006 17:01:30 The Web Maestro wrote:
> We could just identify the schema in the DOCTYPE (or DTD if we decide
> to go that route--a schema is much more powerful, but isn't it more
> overhead?). Then, we could alter the location at will. Instead of
> embedding the file in FOP, it could be located either locally
> (relative to FOP or the XML files), or it could be located on a remote
> server.

Locating or specifying a DTD or an XML Schema is not the issue. We
already have an XML Schema we can use but XML Schema is not expressive
enough to properly validate the current configuration XML.

> As for validating, when someone creates a plug-in (or updates FOP to
> handle some new, configurable feature), one portion of the PATCH would
> update the fop-config.xsd file.

It's possible to assemble an ad-hoc XML Schema using the "import"
feature as needed (Renderers would contribute a sub-schema, for example),
but again, XML Schema is not expressive enough for the current format
(distinction of a single element type by a "type" attribute, e.g.
"renderer"). The problem with the ad-hoc schema is that it's not
feasible for validation in an XML editor, only during FOP runtime.

> On a related point, does it make sense that all configuration be
> handled in one place (e.g., fonts too)?

Can you explain further what you mean?

Jeremias Maerki