From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:02:19 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

Hi Jeremias,

> Hi Patrick,
>
> yes, I've seen that something's going on in that corner. After my
> experience last year, I was a bit hesitant to take another stab, but
> since we've already worked together, I'd be fine mentoring a little
> project. There are a lot of things that could be approached:
> http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPProjectTasks

That Wiki is quite old now and a lot has changed since it was written.

> The thing that would make the most people happy would be implementing
> auto table layout. That's something that is not on any of my clients'
> wishlists so it goes on my private task list on which I have other
> higher priority items. :-o You'd be the hero implementing that!

table-layout="auto" is a often requested feature and as Jeremias said
I'm sure a lot of folks would be grateful for it. My only concern is the
amount of work involved, it might be too big a chunk of work for
Google's summer of code project.

Another broken table feature that often causes confusion is the
border-collapse algorithm. I know Jeremias had some ideas about how to
implement most of it and just leave out the hardest bits.

<snip/>

Chris