From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Announcement: FOP 0.92beta released
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:28:55 GMT
Hi all,

The FOP team is very proud to present the third release off the
trunk: FOP 0.92beta.

It can be downloaded at:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/download.html

FOP 0.92 contains a considerable amount of improvements, bugfixes and
new features in comparison with last December's 0.91 release, so
you're all probably wondering: Why *still* consider it a beta release?

The main reason for this is a fundamental modification in the API,
which was motivated by the fact that a lot of resources could be
reused for multiple rendering runs. It has, of course, all been
rigorously tested, but still we'd very much appreciate any feedback,
especially if one of you feels there is room for improvement, be it
in the area of performance or user-friendliness. Every one of your
comments will be carefully weighed and taken into consideration.

Due to this change, we urge you to check out the following page
before starting to work with the new release: http://
xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.92/embedding.html

If all proceeds as planned, the next release will --finally, after
some 3 years-- lose the beta-tag, since a lot of feedback and our own
experiences now tell us this piece of software is ready for
production environments.

OTOH, if you take a look at the release notes at http://
xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/relnotes.html, you will still see a lot of
open/known issues, so...

As always, code-heads are encouraged to download the sources, and
start tinkering with it. Your ideas, good or bad, will be very very
welcome. If you have a lot of free time and feel like joining us, all
the  better! ;)

See you all soon on fop-users and/or fop-dev --hopefully :)

May you all enjoy this release even more than the last one!

Cheers,

Andreas Delmelle (for the Apache XML FOP development team)