From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Question about status of JEuclid and possible inclusion in FOP
Date Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:53:31 GMT

On 29.04.2006 21:33:17 Max Berger wrote:
> Dear Gennady,
> Dear developers,
>
> I've just recently played around with mathml and tried to include
> that in my fop documents. I've found several tools, and among others
> "jeuclid". jeuclid is very complete, it is just missing a few adapter
> classes. I've written a small one to convert mml to svg and it works
> just fine.

FOP includes a MathML extension for JEuclid. See examples/mathml.

> I've then found out that there was work done merging jeuclid into
> fop / xmlgraphics. What is the current status of this? What are the
> license / technical issues? Is this desired at all?

Well, there were talks but as happens so often, not enough energy was
behind. The ASF is also not going to adopt a codebase which is not
actively maintained and supported.

> Here  is what I would like to see:
> - include jeuclid in xmlgraphics

I don't see this happen without a live community behind JEuclid.

> - add code to fop to support the inclusion of "mml" documents as
> external images.

Easily done. Just implement an XMLHandler for MathML which converts the
MathML to SVG. If it can optionally paint to a Graphics2D instance
directly all the better (some Renderers provide a Graphics2DAdapter).

> - add code to fop to support mml embedded within fo documents

Already available but the extension could profit from a touch-up if it
provides an XMLHandler implementation.

> i would be willing to provide the first two items, if it is legal to
> do so...

Perfectly legal. JEuclid is published under the Apache License. We can
even ship it with FOP, which BTW we decided to do. But after the MathML
discussion trailed off I left that be mostly because I had more
important things on my list. I don't need MathML myself. I'm only
available to faciliate the integration if there are people actively
pushing it.

Jeremias Maerki