From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:08:16 GMT
We can set it up so the basic auto table layout is the main goal and
then we add some optional additional goals. That should help making sure
we don't set the bar unrealistically high if we can't do a good estimate.

I'm glad to hear you want to contribute beyond the SoC boundaries. It's
good to get new blood into the project.

On 19.04.2006 18:38:35 Patrick Paul wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> >Patrick,
> >
> >I have the suspicion that the auto table layout won't fill you up. With
> >the new design, basic support for auto table layout shouldn't be a very
> >big deal. There are some details, however, that could make this a much
> >bigger fish:
> >

> I did suspect it would not be enough.
>
> >Determining ideal column widths based on the inline elment lists for the
> >whole table should be relatively easy. You would probably have that
> >within two or three weeks after a, say, four-week get-to-know-FOP-better
> >phase. It gets more difficult if the column widths are to be
> >redetermined for each page (if that's requested). FOP cannot currently
> >do that because it determines page breaks on a number of pages at the
> >same time (total fit algorithm instead of first fit (Knuth terminology)).
> >This would cause extensive changes to the whole layout engine but enable
> >other features that are currently not possible, for example changing
> >available IPD between pages.
> >

> Sounds interesting, and it would be a good challenge for me to tackle.
> The four-week get-to-know-FOP-better period you suggest sounds very
> reasonable to me.
>
> >Another thing that just crossed my mind would be a total refactoring of
> >the images package. I'm itching to do that for a long time now but
> >probably won't have time for it in the near furture. I've written down
> >some thoughts about that [1] and can elaborate if necessary.
> >
> >[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/ImageSupport
> >

> Sounds good too. I'll have to trust you about what kind of workload this
> would all add up too. I'd like to be as realistic as possible since it
> is important to meet the initial objectives of the proposal. In any case
> I am motivated to actively contribute beyond the Google SoC.
>
> Patrick

Jeremias Maerki