From Manuel Mall <man...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Generalized Knuth-Plass Linebreaking Algorithm
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:26:38 GMT
On Tuesday 04 April 2006 03:38, Simon Pepping wrote:
> Hello,

<snip/>

Simon,

very interesting approach to the problem. You obviously gave this quite
a significant amount of thought.

While your approach may simplify many Knuth sequences for the less
common (or more convoluted) cases you clearly state that the only case
where the original Knuth algorithm has no solution is this "blasted"
suppress the space before the border (assuming the usual property value
settings).

The solution in the context of the Knuth algorithm I had in mind is to
do a simple re-ordering of the generated elements. Instead of
spaces if a line break is created. However, if the spaces are not

into the details of how this could be implemented in the current FOP
code it didn't strike me as overly complicated.

On the other hand your solution may well make such workaround
unnecessary. IMO, your best bet to prove that it works is to branch the
FOP code and plug your new model in. As you have outlined the mapping
from old to new that shouldn't be too invasive.

> Please, let me know what you think of it.
>
> Regards, Simon

Cheers

Manuel