From Manuel Mall ...@arcus.com.au>
Subject white-space collapse across fo:inlines
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 06:22:32 GMT
Not sure if this is another of those areas in the spec which is cause
for much confusion but I noticed that FOP trunk collapses white space
across fo:inlines. For example (I use a . to represent a white space
character):
Start.<fo:inline>.Text.</fo:inline>.End
is rendered as:
Start.Text.End

However, in 7.15.12 the white-space-collapse property definitions says
for "true" (the default value) and I am rephrasing here(!): A space
character is dropped if the immediately preceding flow object is a
space character. I would read this as to mean NOT to collapse across
the boundaries of a fo:inline (FWIW - neither RenderX nor AntennaHouse
seem to collapse across fo:inline boundaries) although it hinges on the
interpretation of the term "preceding" in the context of a tree
structure.

Manuel