From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Logging for FOrayFont
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:30:42 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I'm ever growing more cofident that
> developer-oriented logging should be done through a static logging
> facility (like Commons Logging) and that end-user-oriented logging needs
> to operate per processing run (like Avalon Logger) but not necessarily
> through a standard logging abstraction interface, but rather an
> application-specific one that provides exactly what the application
> needs to send feedback to the end-users.

That's a major part of the points at the end of
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-dev/200508.mbox/%3c431626FB.4090702@yahoo.de%3e

The idea is that FOP sends certain events (or messages) to the User
Agent interface and let the app specific user agent implementation sort
out whether it wants to log it, throw an exception, show a message box,
whatever.
The static debug/trace mechanism is a welcomed refinement, I'd
thought of exposing the logger from the user agent to the rest
of the code for this purpose. It is quite possible that the event
signalling methods proposed in the post above need to be split
up further.

> /me ducks.

Hehe. I've also thought again that designing certain interfaces
(and piling them on each other) must be really really fun.

J.Pietschmann