From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: svn commit: r227219 - /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/compliance.ihtml
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:04:02 GMT
It's so good when some piece of work stimulates people into working on
FOP. :-)

I'd be grateful if you could come up with test cases for the things
you're looking at. There are still implemented features in FOP which are
not checked by test cases (mostly inline-level stuff). I also see the
test cases as a demo area. If someone asks for a feature you can simply
point him/her there. And if there's a problem there's a simple test case
around to start from.

(one more comment inline)

On 03.08.2005 16:50:10 Luca Furini wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > Initial values for "Trunk" column. No guarantees!
>
> Jeremias, Manuel, you have done a great job!
> I find it very useful and stimulating to have such a comprehensive "to do"
> list at hand!
>
> Just a few notes:
>
> > [page-number-citation]
> > [Trunk] After the page number is known, no relayout is performed. The
> > appearance may be suboptimal depending on the use case.
>
> The same problem affects page-number too.
>
> I have started looking at this, I will soon post a message with my first
> findings and ideas.
>
> > [line-stacking-strategy]
> > [Trunk] TODO TBD
>
> "font-height" is explicitly implemented; the alternative behaviour (when
> line-stecking-strategy is not font-height) should match the one prescribed
> for max-height.

I see. I've come across line-stacking-strategy a number of times now and
couldn't really put my finger on what happened with the various settings,
yet. It would be extremely helpful to have a test/demo case and probably
a warning message when "font-height" is used.

I happened to look at external-graphic and instream-foreign-object
during the last few weeks and there are certain things that related to
line-stacking-strategy that don't smell quite right. If we can clear
this up, this could improve a few important details related to images.

> The recommendation (7.15.16) states that "Implementations must support at
> least the max-height and font-height values defined in this
> Recommendation, and may treat line-height as if max-height had been
> specified", so we should be in a consistent state.
>
> > [text-align]
> > Only start, end, center and justify are supported
> > [text-align-last]
> > Only start, end, center and justify are supported
>
> Implementing "inside" and "outside" should not be difficult.
>
> During the linebreaking, they could be handled just as "start" (using
> effectiveAlignment); during the addAreas() phase, when the page number
> should be known, the computent difference could be either interpreted as a
> left indent (to implement "ouside" in a odd page or "inside" in an even
> one) or ignored.
>
> > [letter-spacing]
> > yes?
>
> As far as I can remember it should work.
>
> Regards
>      Luca

Jeremias Maerki