From Luca Furini <lfur...@cs.unibo.it>
Subject Re: multi-column layout and footnotes
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:45:06 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I just hope this breaking-up of the
> span-reference-areas won't cause too many problems with keeping the
> footnotes working. I'm a bit worried about that. We'll see.

I was thinking about this too: the texbook, speaking about footnotes and
columns, says something interesting: paginating a page of height H, N
columns ans footnotes having the whole width is quite similar to
paginating a page of height N*H, with a single column, where the height of
each footnote line has a magnification factor = N.

I think that this way the column break could be seen as "moving indexes",
dividing the normal content in pieces of equal length, that could be
updated while adding some more normal content. (this could mean that
having balanced columns could be even easier than having unbalanced ones!)

These are just some thoughts, as I did not try and implement anything yet

Regards
     Luca