From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Valid version of the PDF specification?
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:59:18 GMT
On Oct 11, 2004, at 7:06 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> 1.4 (Copyright 2001) is fine for us.

That's OK by me, as long as that is the consensus and not the opinion
of one of our esteemed committers. I was hoping for a little discussion
about why PDF 1.3 is not even an option? There is some discussion of
this topic in the archives[1] & [2] and also in the FOPProjectTasks
wiki[3]. I acknowledge certain items require PDF 1.4 (transparency,
encryption, and others[4]). But like Jeremias said in this thread[2]:

> > > 1.3 or 1.4?
> >
> > 1.4
> > because we have transparency
>
> If that's the only reason, I'd like to have this configurable. I'd
> regret losing 1.3 compatibility.

My preference is still to 'shoot' for PDF 1.3 for all output which
doesn't require PDF 1.4+ features. If one of those features is applied,
then the format should change.

Then again, judging by my output, fop-0.20.5 appears to generate PDF
1.3 files (unless Encryption is enabled). Please correct me if I'm
wrong. Requiring anyone who needs PDF 1.3 output would be perfectly
acceptable to me, although for this and other reasons (bug fixes, added
support for Barcode4J[5], & other PATCHes) I'd like to see a 0.20.6
release off of the maintenance branch (which could occur after our
FOP-1.0 release).

[1]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=104246257322783&w=2
[2]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=102861860310316&w=2#1
[3]
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?FOPProjectTasks
[4]
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/acrobat/docs/File_Format_Specifications/
PDF14Deltas.pdf
[5]
http://barcode4j.sourceforge.net/fop-
ext.html#The+special+FOP+extension+%28for+experienced+developers+only%29

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cleeds@medata.com>