From Glen Mazza <grm7...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Meta info [was: Printing from multiple trays with FOP generated output]
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 16:42:09 GMT
--- Simon Pepping <spepping@leverkruid.nl> wrote:

[Jeremias]

> > In the end it will probably have to result in
> something similar as EXSLT
> > where for widely accepted features a common syntax
> is defined. BTW, if I
> > remember correctly.....ah yes:
> http://exslfo.sourceforge.net/

Oh I didn't know about that site, thanks Jeremias.
This site is somewhat out of date though, because the
1.1 spec does have a lot of the indexing FO's,
revision marks, etc., that were previously
processor-specific.

However, some extensions such as PDF bookmarks and PS
paper trays, because they are renderer-specific, will
probably never be in the W3C spec.  So the EXSLFO site
could be useful for these types of
extensions--something that all three AH, RX, and FOP
can support.

[Simon]

> We might also implement rx:meta-info instead of
> forcing users to
> produce fox:meta-info or rx:meta-info depending on
> their intended FO
> processor.

Yes, that's the main drawback of extensions.  I
wouldn't want us to be tied to a particular commercial
product though--there is also AntennaHouse, and I
don't think we would want to be implementing *both* AH
and RX. The EXSLFO approach is probably cleaner.

Also, I think we may be able to do better than what
RenderX or AntennaHouse has.  For example, we could
separate metadata into render-specific types:

<fo:declarations>
   <fox:metadata>
      <fox:pdf-metadata/>
      <fox:ps-metadata/>
   </fox:metadata>
</fo:declarations>

and add elements over time as we see fit.

Glen