From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: FOP Style Guide (update)
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 15:38:04 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I've got the same problem with that. I've found more than a few
> occurences of that last example in FOP. It would be nice to restrict
> that rule to one line ifs/fors/whiles. Having more than one line in
> total should mean having to use braces.
I don't understand this: It has different semantics.

> Or if checkstyle could also check indentation...
That's Jalopy or Emacs reindent for you.

> On 08.01.2003 14:23:36 Peter B. West wrote:
>>And it adds just a spice of danger.

I can live well without this.

I got used to always add braces.
1. You don't have to think whether you have one or more
    than one statement in the control statement body.
2. Adding braces to an existing statement because another
    statement is added is more disrupting to the editing
    process than adding it right from the beginning.
    Especially the
      if (foo)
        dobar();
      else
        dobaz(),
    case is bad.
3. If I temporarily add a println() for traces, I sure
    wont delete the braces after the println is deleted.
    You'll have to live with the inconsistency.

J.Pietschmann