From Joerg Pietschmann <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Throwing derivatives of RuntimeException
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2003 22:44:24 GMT
On Saturday 04 January 2003 21:36, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I promise to fix these uglies as soon as my local FOP
> compiles again.
I don't think it is more urgent than, lets say, turn the font
readers into libraries which can be called both from the
FOP core as well as from stand alone command line applications.

> >   [ exception unification / cascade ]
> I don't think they are confusing if you know the concept. They may get
> long, but they are soooo helpful sometimes. And I prefer a long log
> entry over an Exception of which I can't determine the origin.
I just pulled a slightly credible disadvantage out of the blue so that
this variant doesn't appear to have only advantages :-)

> It would obviously make sense to come up with a good set of clearly
> formulated guidelines for exception handling, but that is something that
> IMO has to be done in another context. I don't want to blow up our Style
> Guide too much, because too much doesn't get read.
Provide a small sets of snappy DOs and DO NOTs and link to another,
bigger document providing longer descriptions, rationales, background
and terminology definitions. Something I started in the FAQ with some
still dead links to "classpath" and "url".

> I think it would make sense to bring this topic up in the
> community mailing list so all Java-addicted could come up with a nice,
> concise Wiki-page.
Probably a good idea.

I like the idea of a set of common, "normative" documentation which might
be more reliable and better to manage and maintain than random links into
the WWW.

J.Pietschmann