From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: handling patches
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2002 15:00:03 GMT
The problem with this is really, that the old layout code is scattered
around in the FO tree (look for layout() methods). The redesign
introduces the layout managers which is a move to separate the logic
(layout code) from the data structure (FO tree). The keyword here is SoC
(Separation of Concerns). These are two completely different design and
I don't see a chance of properly doing what you propose. The new design
however really supports plugging in different implementations but I
don't see an easy way to bring over the old layout code.

On 02.11.2002 09:56:48 Victor Mote wrote:
> While we are in a brainstorming mode, please forgive me for throwing out
> another wild hare to consider. (This only makes sense if most of the
> differences are in the second class): Is it at all feasible to maintain both
> layout managers in one set of code? In other words, for the choice to be
> selectable or pluggable? Perhaps put the old logic into an oldlayout
> package. If there is a lot of potential commonality between the code, this
> would give us an opportunity to reunify the two branches right now, and
> simply blow the old stuff away at some point in the future when it is no
> longer needed. It would be worth *a lot* to get the branches unified if at
> all possible.

Jeremias Maerki