From Erik_Vanhe...@inventivedesigners.com
Subject Re: newbie developer questions
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2001 12:45:46 GMT

>This design is proving to be no good when trying to implement more of the
>spec. So we are attempting to come up with a new design to layout the
>objects. We are in desperate need of developers who can contribute to the

Hmmz, that does not sound good for the overal development. Are you gonna
start over or actually refactoring the current version ? The design as it
is now appears inside the code seem to be a bit of spagethi like but if you
are redesigning that would explain a lot. I guess if you are the code will
be up to date inside the CVS but the readme files and such are badly in
need of updating.

>All of the rendering can be found in the org.apache.fop.render package but
>I suspect you don't mean that type of rendering. This is where the area
>tree is rendered to the appropriate output (eg. pdf).

No actually I didn't have a clue as to what the IDreferences stuff and such
were doing. As far as I understand it now you parse an xsl:fo document,
convert it to a FONode tree with the FOTreeBuilder and PropertyListBuilder.
Then this tree is formatted by constructing a huge AreaTree based area
tree. After this the streamrenderer will be invoked and this one will
somehow make the actual renderer recurse through the area tree and starts
drawing a page of it, and then eg AWT would display it. Is this a bit
accurate ?