xmlgraphics-batik-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: svg to pdf gives different visual output
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:17:35 GMT
Hi Lars,

"Lars Eirik Rønning" <larseirik@gmail.com> wrote on 08/11/2008 10:23:15 
AM:

> I have tried to do as Thomas adviced me to and changed the svg file 
> with units from px to pt.
> I am not able to get a printout which gives me the correct outputsize 
however.
> 
> When i try to print the svg file from Illustrator the rectangle is 
> 11cm , however i keep getting 10.5 cm when using either the batik-
> rasterizer or my code with transcoding hints.
> I have tried to set the PDFTranscoder hints and used both 
> KEY_RESOLUTION and PDFTranscoder.KEY_DEVICE_RESOLUTION, new 
Float(0.3528f));

   When you say you keep getting 10.5cm rect, are you talking about
the PDF file (which Batik can control) or the final sheet of paper
where there is another piece of software that may change the rendering
of the document (the PDF application and/or the print driver).

> Please see the attached fiile. It is the biggest rectangle which 
> should be 11cm according to illustrator.

> Sorry to bother you guys with this again..
> 
> Could someone let me know if they are able to actually get a 
> printout where the biggest rectangle is 11cm( 4.33070866 inch)

   Both by adjusting the 'KEY_PIXEL_UNIT_TO_MILLIMETER' and
changing 'px' to 'pt' I can get a PDF where the rectangle is
11cm wide.  Getting the PDF printed without scaling is a 
problem that I'm not sure Batik can help with.


> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Lars Eirik Rønning <larseirik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> Hi again
> I have tried to do as you advice me to and changed the svg file with
> units from px to pt.
> I am not able to get a printout which gives me the correct outputsize 
however.
> 
> When i try to print the svg file from Illustrator the rectangle is 
> 11cm , however i keep getting 10.5 cm when using either the batik-
> rasterizer or my code with transcoding hints.
> Please see the attached fiile. It is the biggest rectangle which 
> should be 11cm according to illustrator.
> 
> Sorry to bother you guys with this again..
> 
> Could someone let me know if they are able to actually get 11cm on 
> the biggest square?
> 
> 

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Lars Eirik Rønning <larseirik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> I have had a look at the transcoding hints and i was wondering which
> one to use to get the output correct
> This is the one i have looked at now: 
PDFTranscoder.KEY_DEVICE_RESOLUTION
> I also see that there is something referred to as :PDFTranscoder.
> KEY_PIXEL_UNIT_TO_MILLIMETER,new Float(0.2645833f)
> To mee it looks like the latter is the right one, but i am not entirely 
sure..
> Any help is appreciated.
> 

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Lars Eirik Rønning <larseirik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> Thank you so much Thomas.
> That helped me a lot!
> 
> 

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:32 PM, <thomas.deweese@kodak.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi Lars,
> 
> "Lars Eirik Rønning" <larseirik@gmail.com> wrote on 08/05/2008 10:14:48 
AM:
> 
> 
> > I have been using the batik rasterizer to generate pdf from my svg 
file.
> 
> > The strange thing is that my .svg fil contains a rectangle which is 
> > 311pt. 

>    Actually your SVG document contains a rectangle that is 311 user 
> space units, where in your document 311 user space units are mapped 
> to 311 _px_ units.  Where by default Batik uses 96 px per inch (user 
> agents are supposed to pick and appropriate px to real world unit 
> conversion - 96 is a common px->inch conversion for SVG UserAgents), 
> by contrast a pt is defined as 1/72nd of an inch always. 
> 
> > When i convert this to pdf the pdf version is 243pt. 

>    Right 311px/96pxPerIn ~= 3.25in * 72ptPerIn ~= 243pt 
> 
> > I have not set any particular transcoding hints and was hoping that 
> > the conversion would be done more or less seamlessly.
> 
>   To fix this you can either use 'pt' instead of 'px' units on 
> your outermost SVG (which seems to make the most sense to me): 
> 
>         width="311.811pt" height="311.811pt" 
> 
>  Or you can override Batik's default px to real world mapping 
> by using the '-dpi' command line option (and/or transcoding hint): 
> 
>         -dpi 72 
> 
> [attachment "a4.zip" deleted by Thomas E. DeWeese/449433/EKC] 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: batik-users-unsubscribe@xmlgraphics.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: batik-users-help@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Mime
View raw message