From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: svg to pdf gives different visual output
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:32:56 GMT
Hi Lars,

"Lars Eirik Rønning" <larseirik@gmail.com> wrote on 08/05/2008 10:14:48
AM:

> I have been using the batik rasterizer to generate pdf from my svg file.

> The strange thing is that my .svg fil contains a rectangle which is
> 311pt.

   Actually your SVG document contains a rectangle that is 311 user
space units, where in your document 311 user space units are mapped
to 311 _px_ units.  Where by default Batik uses 96 px per inch (user
agents are supposed to pick and appropriate px to real world unit
conversion - 96 is a common px->inch conversion for SVG UserAgents),
by contrast a pt is defined as 1/72nd of an inch always.

> When i convert this to pdf the pdf version is 243pt.

   Right 311px/96pxPerIn ~= 3.25in * 72ptPerIn ~= 243pt

> I have not set any particular transcoding hints and was hoping that
> the conversion would be done more or less seamlessly.

  To fix this you can either use 'pt' instead of 'px' units on
your outermost SVG (which seems to make the most sense to me):

        width="311.811pt" height="311.811pt"

  Or you can override Batik's default px to real world mapping
by using the '-dpi' command line option (and/or transcoding hint):

        -dpi 72