From "Nirmesh Desai" <nde...@autonomy.com>
Subject RE: textpath <path> clone affects text positioning?
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:10:22 GMT
In DOM viewer I see that after setAttribute('xlink:href',value) on the cloned node the node
has two xlink:href attributes, unless I am not seeing properly.

Isn't setAttribute supposed to replace value if attribute already exists?

Is there another way to set this attribute so that the new xlink is available?

Also, if I remove the [xlink:href="#templateTextPathDef"] the display works as expected.

<textPath xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xlink:href="#templateTextPathDef"
xlink:type="simple" xlink:actuate="onLoad" id="templateTextPath" xlink:show="other" xlink:href="#item0TextPathDef">India</textPath>

Any thoughts/pointers will be helpful..

Thanks again.
Nirmesh.

-----Original Message-----
From: Helder Magalhães [mailto:helder.magalhaes@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:15 AM
To: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: textpath <path> clone affects text positioning?

> FireFox and Renesis player seem to put the text in correct place, however
> batik svg viewer seems to somehow also use the 'd' defined in the template
> from where I clone the <path> element so the text keeps changing whenever I
> change the 'd' value in the 'template' <path>.
>
> I need to try to make the svg behave same in applet and the browsers.

As always, creating and attaching a reduced test case [1] to the
message may help receiving more and more valuable feedback. (For this
case, apparently a single SVG file containing a script snippet and
target path elements will do the trick.)

Just a though: are you deep cloning the element (i.e.,
"cloneNode(true)" [2])?. If not, then it is Firefox and Renesis who
may be suffering from issues, as non-deep copies of DOM subtrees
should act as "use" elements, that is, when you manipulate a non-deep
cloned element, the referenced element is the one who is actually
changed.

Hope this helps,

 Helder Magalhães

[1] http://webkit.org/quality/reduction.html