From "Helder Magalhães" <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: a0:space="preserve"
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2008 01:39:04 GMT
>    My guess would be as a result of serializing an SVG that
> had it's xml:space attribute set like this:
>         e.setAttributeNS(XML_NS, "space", "preserve");
>    The serializer is probably creating the namespace
> prefix 'a0' since you didn't provide one.  If I'm right you
> should set the xml:space attribute with:
>         e.setAttributeNS(XML_NS, "xml:space", "preserve");

Could you provide a pointer where this is stated? That is, the need to
insert the external namespace prefix ("xml:"). I've searched for it in
the specification [1] but, apparently according to the qualifier name
definition [2], the prefix is labeled optional... Also, I wasn't able
to find related material within the pointer [3] provided by Cameron.

Are there strong reasons to always use the namespace prefix (plus the
colon) within Batik or any other known implementation(s)? Should this
question be taken to the SVG Developers [4] forum?

 Helder Magalhães

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/core.html#ID-ElSetAttrNS
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/glossary.html#dt-qualifiedname
[3] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#innerhtml1