From Cameron McCormack <...@mcc.id.au>
Subject Re: Batik 1.7 text rendering issues
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:13:12 GMT
Hi John.

John C. Turnbull:
> That property could be useful but how can it determine which type of
> monitor is connected to the "Desktop"? I think the optimal rendering
> hints for text depend on the monitor and especially whether it's CRT
> vs. LCD.

I think that it queries the OS for the settings (e.g. in the Gnome
Appearance Preferences window, or the Display control panel in Windows).
I don’t know whether particular OSes can get that infomration directly
from the monitor.

> I think the only reliable option is, as has already been suggested,
> to provide the user with a text tuning screen which displays text
> rendered using the various hints and allows them to select the most
> legible one.

If that information isn’t available via this desktop property, then yes,
that’s what would be needed.

Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/