From Joel Uckelman <uckel...@nomic.net>
Subject Re: Batik 1.7 text rendering issues
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 14:33:47 GMT
Thus spake "Helder Magalhães":
> >    I don't have anything against this (as it's a fairly simple thing to
> > enable through reflection) but do you know how to determine which of the
> > 4 LCD dot patterns to use?
>
> I'm not sure if this is even possible to determine automatically. If
> not, maybe one could be able to do this using a preference: possibly a
> new tab in Squiggle preferences, for example, where a canvas for each
> dot pattern was showed. Something like the "ClearType Tuner" applet
> [1] which allows tweaking Windows text smoothing. :-)
>
> [1] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx

The fact that there's a "Rendering" section in the font configuration
dialog in GNOME makes me suspect that this is something you can't always
(ever?) read from the hardware. There is a correct answer to the question
of what the subpixel order is on an LCD screen---it's not as though some
people will prefer RGB and some BGR or VBGR rendering on the same panel.

--
J.