From Cameron McCormack <...@mcc.id.au>
Subject Re: a0:space="preserve"
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2008 06:37:03 GMT
Helder Magalhães:
> These are good news! :-) Could I add Batik's XHR support as "underway"
> in the SVG implementations Viewer Matrix [1] ("Communication" row) or
> is it just too soon? ;-)

Well I probably won’t get time to work on it for a while (at least a few
months), so I think it would be premature to mention.

> At least temporarily (I hope), I had to stall my XHR experiments
> regarding Web browser applet integration... :-(
>
> I've stated something related in a SVG-WG mailing list thread [2] (and
> in some IRC sparkles), where I strongly feel that making the
> communication methods homogeneous for SVG would potentially cause an
> SVG implementations deployment boost. XHR support by Batik would
> surely be a helper here. Weirdly enough, at least for me, my post [2]
> hasn't received any feedback to date. Probably I'll ping the SVG-WG
> mailing list in a few weeks as I'd love to see an official position on
> this (high priority, IMO) subject. :-)

I agree that it is good to have consistency across implementations!
Now, I think that Batik’s getURL() won’t quite match the requirements in
1.2T, but it should be good enough for casual use, and I know that
people do use it.  I think having XHR implemented also will make it
easier for people coming from AJAX in an HTML browser world.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/