From John Hainline <jihainl...@yahoo.com>
Subject OpenGL and Batik
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:27:10 GMT

Hey everyone, I'll get straight to the point. I've been looking at using
OpenGL (specifically, lwjgl, one of Java's OpenGL bindings) to render a
bunch of bezier surfaces when I came across the SVG format. It would be
useful to me if I could use this XML format to create my surfaces and
animate them. It was then that I saw Batik, which looks to be a very useful
and powerful tool. Because I have no experience with Batik yet, I was hoping
someone could answer this question for me:
What sort of coding would it take to make Batik able to render to an OpenGL
context? At first glance it seemed Batik uses awt for rendering (correct me
if I'm wrong). Would making it render to OpenGL simply be a few extra
classes that would replace the current "Renderer" classes? Or do you think
it would be a lot more complex than that?
If you don't know huge amounts of Batik code internals, but have an opinion,
I'd still love to hear it! I just need a general idea of what you all think
this would take.