From "John C. Turnbull" <ozem...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject RE: Batik 1.7 text rendering issues
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:13:58 GMT
Thanks Thomas, making the change you suggested works just great J  And I
think it makes a big difference too.

John

From: thomas.deweese@kodak.com [mailto:thomas.deweese@kodak.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 5 August 2008 21:08
To: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Cc: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: RE: Batik 1.7 text rendering issues

Hi John,

"John C. Turnbull" <ozemale@ozemail.com.au> wrote on 08/05/2008 06:23:41 AM:

> What would be involved in getting Batik to take advantage of the
> sub-pixel antialiasing in Java 6 for better font rendering?  Is it a
> big change?  I'd like to implement it, at least in my local copy.

   It's a fairly small change, I think.   Simply modify the
function batik.bridge.CSSUtilities.convertTextRendering
To set the java.awt.RenderingHints.KEY_TEXT_ANTIALIASING to
one of the values of VALUE_TEXT_ANTIALIAS_LCD_*.  I'm not
sure how to determine the proper LCD_* value to use other
than querying the user.

> Also, what is the status of development of Batik?  Is it still
> actively being developed and/or enhanced?

   I would say that development is fairly passive right now.
Important bugs and bugs with clear fixes are fixed regularly
but we aren't adding many new features.  Part of the reason
we aren't adding new features is because our coverage of the
SVG specification is pretty good.

   BTW our base JDK is currently 1.4 so I'm not sure we would
add this anyway (especially given the complication of trying
to figure out what LCD setting should be used).

AM: