From Mark Lundquist <lundquist.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flow problem
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:20:27 GMT
thomas.deweese@kodak.com wrote:

> Hi Mark,

Hi Thomas, thanks for the reply (again :-).  First, an update...

Somebody suggested that switching to the latest Batik would be the best
place to start here, and in general I think that's great advice.  I had
actually tried that before, but it threw an NPE right out of the blocks.
  But meanwhile, a thread came up concerning that very problem.  This
was the post re: "org.apache.batik.dom.util.SAXDocumentFactory --
svgplugin calling startElement() before createDocument()"... that poster
was having the problem with the Eclipse svgplugin and it turned out to
be the same problem I was having with Saxon.  So I downloaded the Batik
source release, applied your suggested patch from that thread, and built
a new batik-all.jar.

This sort of took me from bad to worse.

First of all, the whole rectangle went black.  I added 'fill="white"' on
the rectagle and then I could see the text again, but of course I need
that background to transparent, not white.  I found the release note
explaining the rendering of shapes inside flowRegion per SVG 1.2, but I
have not been able to get my transparent background back... neither
'visibility="hidden"' nor setting fill and stroke to "none" have any
effect, and I've double checked this a couple of times.

And secondly... with the background set to white, I can see that the
flow problem is still there.  No change from Batik 1.6.

So with that...

>    So I noticed some odd stuff in the rendering.  First it looks
> to me like when text disappears the text that is present ends up
> rendered 'lighter' (compare your first one with text=xxx).

Yes... I wonder what's causing that effect. Here:

    http://test.pdxrm.wd-2.net/navmenu-heading.png?text=xxx+yyyyyyyy+zzzz

...the characters do look lighter in weight.  In both of these examples:

    http://test.pdxrm.wd-2.net/navmenu-heading.png?text=xxx+yyyyyyyy
    http://test.pdxrm.wd-2.net/navmenu-heading.png?text=xxx

the characters look heavier.

Anyway...

> I would be curious if the flow text renders correctly if you
> convert the font to an SVG font, and use that (then we don't use
> the platform text rendering).

Well, I'm not sure how to do that (?).  I tried just removing the
'font-family' attribute.  I get some kind of sans-serif font then (don't
know if it's coming from the platform font handler or not), but the text
flow problem is still there.

>    Also you asked about installing a different version of Java
> on a Mac, take a look in /Library/Java or
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions
>
>    On my system it looks like I have variants of JDK 1.3, 1.4, and
> 1.5 installed (even though on this machine I don't think I
> installed any 'extra' versions - but I probably installed
> dev tools).  So you may be able to simply change your JAVA_HOME
> or the Current link.

Right... Current already points to Java 1.5, so I don't know if there's
much I can do that way.

—ml—