From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: Flow problem
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:09:05 GMT
Hi Mark,

Mark Lundquist wrote on 04/07/2008 05:31:13 PM:

> So once again, the examples (and you can play with any text you want,
> just supply it in the GET parameter):
>
>     http://test.pdxrm.wd-2.net/navmenu-heading.png?text=xxx+yyyyyyyy
>
> http://test.pdxrm.wd-2.net/navmenu-heading.png?text=xxx+yyyyyyyy+zzzz
>
> See how the flow is not working right?  In both cases I lose some text,
> but I can't figure out where it is going...

   So I noticed some odd stuff in the rendering.  First it looks
to me like when text disappears the text that is present ends up
rendered 'lighter' (compare your first one with text=xxx).
I would be curious if the flow text renders correctly if you
convert the font to an SVG font, and use that (then we don't use
the platform text rendering).

   Also you asked about installing a different version of Java
on a Mac, take a look in /Library/Java or
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions

   On my system it looks like I have variants of JDK 1.3, 1.4, and
1.5 installed (even though on this machine I don't think I
installed any 'extra' versions - but I probably installed
dev tools).  So you may be able to simply change your JAVA_HOME
or the Current link.