From Mark Lundquist <lundquist.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flow problem
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2008 15:18:05 GMT
thomas.deweese@kodak.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> news <news@ger.gmane.org> wrote on 03/27/2008 08:40:08 PM:
>
>  > I have one Web site where this has been working for the last 1-2 years,
>  > and then we upgraded the server from one version of OS X to another, and
>  > all of a sudden this doesn't work right anymore.  For whatever reason,
>  > it works perfectly on my MacBook Pro.  Both are running Java 1.5 with a
>  > slight difference at the JRE build number level.
>
>    There was a bug in one of the Mac JRE's where it would
> render the lines going 'up' rather than down (I think it was
> one of the Mac OS X 1.4 versions).  Could that be the bug you
> are seeing?

Nope... that's not what it's doing.  The problem is just as I described it.

This is really frustrating... I think I'm going to have to go to "plan
B" here, and have our designer create static text images in Illustrator
or whatever they use, and do this the "old school" web monkey way :-(.
I have no clue how to debug this.

Part of the frustration is that as far as I know I'm at the mercy of
Apple w.r.t. JRE version.  My laptop is running a newer version of Mac
OS X: 10.5.2 ("Leopard") vs. OS X Server 10.4.11 ("Tiger") on the
server... both fully updated.  However, the server appears to be running
with a more recent JRE build:

	Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05-241)

vs. this on my laptop:

	Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05-237)

So apparently, OS X Server is tracking Java separately from the
desktop/laptop OS X, allowing the latest "OS X Server Tiger" to be
"ahead" of the latest "OS X Leopard" (non-Server).

Any desperate suggestions for me to try before I pull the plug on SVG
for this application?

thx,
—ml—