From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: Acccessing pixels in an <image>
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 16:47:24 GMT
Hi Phil,

"Philip Feldman" <pfeldman@proteus-technologies.com> wrote on 05/02/2006
10:04:56 AM:

> I am reading an image in as part of an SVG file that I need to do some
> processing on (changing the color of some pixels periodically). I see
that
> Batik maps the <image> tag to an SVGOMImageElement. Is there any way to
get at
> the pixels directly?

   It isn't very easy.  From the SVGOMImageElement you can use the
BridgeContext
getGraphicsNode method to get the GraphicsNode that is the 'peer' to the
Image
element.  You can then poke around it's subtree, and find the
RasterImageNode
child (assuming the image references a raster format).  The
RasterImageNode
has a 'Filter' which is the image - but it is a resolution independent
view of
the image.  You can get this rendered to a fixed size and use the
RenderedImage
interface to get data out of it.

   I would suggest that manipulations of the graphic display are best done
using svg rather than trying to twiddle raster images...