From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: printing svg is still too slow. How Microsoft solve that?
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 10:04:28 GMT
Hi Mario,

JavaTeam <mario_zupan@inet.hr> wrote on 04/30/2006 05:19:16 AM:

> I have an outOfMemory problems in a huge charts printing so I tried to
solve
> the thing with  the batik and SVG. I cut my chart in a dozen svg files
> (about 1MB) and then print it. I don't have OutOfMemory problem any more
but
> still I was wondering how Microsoft can solve  the printing a huge
charts,
> so quick, in a MS Project ? If you tried that product?

   In general printing a chart is not a lot of real 'geometry', so if you
can get the output from just simple drawing commands the result should be
small.  However, I know that there are lots of Java2D operations that will
force rasteriziation (the use of opacity is the main one - any semi-opaque
fill, or image).  Once you start rasterizing parts of the page your memory
requirements for a large chart will go off the chart...