From Tom Schindl <tomAtLi...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Batik and SWT
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:13:23 GMT
thomas.deweese@kodak.com wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Tom Schindl <tomAtLinux@gmx.at> wrote on 04/03/2006 04:12:40 AM:
>

>>Well that's not really what I had in mind. I really want to replace all
>>AWT components through SWT ones.
>

>    I'm not sure what this means.  Just replace subclasses of
> java.awt.Component or replace any use of java.awt.*
>
>    If it's the first our main our GUI components live in batik.swing.
> There are a few things in batik.util, and batik.apps.svgbrowser.
>
>    If it's the second then you will need to replace most of
> batik.bridge, batik.gvt, batik.ext.awt, batik.swing.  This would be
> the majority of Batik.

Well I thought of the second one which as you describe it will be a
nightmare. I had the feeling from the docs that things aren't so
dependend on each other and gvt is completely seperated from awt/swing.

Please note that I haven't taken a look into batik-code but from my
naive point-of-view I thought about batik like this:

SVG => GVT => AWT/Swing

Where I thought GVT is a vendor neutral representation of SVG e.g.
something like:

SVG                           ||         GVT       ||    AWT
------------------------------||-------------------||-------------------
<rect                         ||batik.gvt.Rectangle|| java.awt.Rectangle
     x="192.0"                ||                   ||
     y="105.0"                ||                   ||
     width="247.0"            ||                   ||
     height="153.0"           ||                   ||
     fill="#ff0000"           ||                   ||
     fill-opacity="1.0"       ||                   ||
     stroke="#000000"         ||                   ||
     stroke-width="1.0"       ||                   ||
     stroke-opacity="1.0"     ||                   ||
     stroke-linecap="round"/> ||                   ||

Tom