From André Ávila <asan...@nextech.com.br>
Subject Synchronizing JSVGCanvas - Again
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:28:01 GMT
Hello,

I have two JSVGCanvas, one on top of the other. The bottom JSVGCanvas is used for displaying
an SVG document. The upper is used as an overlay for drawing. They are both transparent.

The ultimate goal is to turn the user drawing into an SVG, but I won't do that until the user
asks, so basically I have a buch of Shape objects hanging around in memory. No problem so
far. The SVG drawing is just sitting there, in the bottom canvas, with a bunch of shapes drawn
on the upper canvas.

Things get nasty when the user tries to interact with the SVG canvas. Following some ideas
discussed with Thomas a while ago, I overwrite setRenderingTransform() and setPaintingTransform()
in the SVG canvas and propagate the current transform to the overlay canvas. Since the overlay
canvas just has a bunch of Shapes all I have to do is apply the same transform to its graphics
context to make the Shapes move or zoom with the SVG canvas. Below is the paint() method of
the overlay canvas.

public void paint(Graphics g) {
    Graphics2D g2d = (Graphics2D)g;

    AffineTransform at = getPaintingTransform();    // Get the transform applied in the SVG
canvas (user is interacting with it)

    if (at != null) {
        g2d.transform(at);    // Applies the transform to the overlay graphics context
    }
    drawShapes(g2d);    // Redraws all shapes using the transformed context
 }

However, the final result does not look good: it always looks like the overlay canvas is a
few milliseconds behind, as if it was waiting for the SVG canvas to render before redrawing.
So, when you pan, it looks like the overlay is trying to catch up with the SVG.

Is there a better form of synchronizing the overlay? I'd like to reach the same effect as
the SelectionOverlay in TextSelectionManager.

Many thanks for any ideas!