From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: Applet way too slow on MAC
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:05:11 GMT

>   I'll be putting up a new version that uses the Mac OS X
>'preferred' BufferedImage type that _might_ make it a bit faster
>even.

good

>>With the new renderer, however, you seem to have created a (hopefully
>>easy to fix?) new problem. When there is no background rectangle with a
>>defined color, the normally white background now appears black.
>>

>   Both your problems are fairly simple to fix, now that we have a
>basic solution to the problem I'll work on these issues.   The one
>possibly tricky problem I've seen with the new renderer is that
>occasionally objects leave 'bits' behind - do you see this on Mac OS X?
>I've looked at the code for this and I suspect it's a rounding issue
>with the JVM renderer but it need to investigate a bit more.

no, I don't see these effects of objects not being rendered. The quality
and behaviour seems fine, except the background and zoom problems
previously described.

The only effects I have are the ones with the black backgrounds as
described with the screenshots and when resizing windows. When resizing
the Squiggle window one shortly sees both the old and the new rendering
at once until the new one is fully renderered. To be more specific: if
the windows wasn't maximized and one maximizes the window (or manually
increases the window size) one briefly sees the old rendering at the
previous window size and in the background already the new rendering.
Finally, the new rendering fully replaces the old rendering correctly.
This is only a very minor flaw.

>>Do you think that background problem is easy to fix? Do you think you
>>can provide the improvements for rendering dynamic documents also for
>>static documents, eliminating the need to add useless script nodes?
>>

>   Since the new renderer doesn't seem to offer any advantage (and may
>be a bit slower) for Windows, I'll likely make the DynamicRenderer
>a 'MacOSXRenderer' and have it used all the time on Mac OS X.  This does
>mean that you will loose the tiled rendering that is currently used
>for the Static renderer but since that uses Rasters it's going to
>be horribly slow on Mac OS X anyways.

I see.

Let's hope the Apple people don't mess everything up again in the future
MacOSX versions!

Thanks and all the best,
Andreas

Andreas Neumann - Institute of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/