From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Batik and JSP
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:31:34 GMT
Hi Arian,

Arian Hojat wrote:

> Hello fellow svg enthusiasts,
> i used Batik a long time ago in a Java app
> (http://www.topxml.com/code/default.asp?p=3&id=v20040618151339&ms=20&l=svg&sw=categ).

    That's nice!

> gonna start using it again to develop a small web app for my senior project.
> i was wondering can i use it(svgcanvas etc) on a jsp page,
> Any limitations to this or can be used exactly the same?

    Well, I think we have some server/client confusion.  As I
understand it a JSP page is a mixed HTML/SVG page with Java code
embedded in it.  The Page is 'evaluated' on the server and a result
is sent to the client.

    So I can think of two things you might do with a JSP:

	1) You might have the JSP generate a dynamic SVG document
that is sent to the client (which is assumed to have an SVG viewer
installed - ASV or Batik).

	2) You might have the JSP rasterize a SVG document (dynamically
generated) and produce a JPEG of the document (which any browser can
display).

    Neither of these would use the JSVGCanvas, the first might not use
Batik on the Server at all, the second would use the Transcoder API's.

    However, outside the context of a JSP you might want to send an
applet to the client which could embed the JSVGCanvas for viewing
and/or manipulating the SVG.