From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Bullets not showing up in SVG
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:06:00 GMT
Dave Austin wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is more of an FOP problem, or if it is Batik.

    I suspect it's a character encoding problem.

> I'm posting on this board because I read that FOP uses Batik for
> conversion to SVG anyway.  The font face is "Symbol" and the text
> inside is: \342\200\242.   When I run FOP, it always replaces these
> bullets with ?'s.

    Looking at the attached document that fails then encoding is:

    I suspect that the character you are referencing in the fo file
(which is encoded using UTF-8) doesn't have a mapping to this
encoding.  I would suspect the windows<->linux difference is
due to a different default encoding.

    I would suggest providing a Reader explicitly to the stream call
and construct the reader with a UTF-8 encoding specification.

> Obviously what is happening here is the FOP cannot determine the
> glyph associated with the "Symbol" font and is substituting ?'s.

    I don't think this is the problem, if this were the problem
you would probably get bad text layout.