From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: GVT to DOM references
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:55:17 GMT
Lukasz Matuszczak wrote:

> I want to show a static svg document. I thought that it a GVT tree is
> sufficient to render image, so after initial rendering I can use
> JGVTComponent without DOM Tree (I want to use as little memory as
> possible). However it turned out that some GVT nodes (text nodes) hold
> references to some DOM elements, so the whole DOM tree can't be
> collected by garbage collector.

    Correct.

> Is there any solution to that problem?

    Yes.

> Are there any plans to rewrite text handling in GVT tree in such
> way, that DOM tree won't be necessary in static document rendering?

    Not really.  The major issue for static documents is SVG Fonts.
Currently fonts are resolved in the rendering tree when the text is
laid out.  So to fix this you would need to move that to the bridge
or something (this is non-trivial, but not impossible).  In any event
the references are needed for dynamic documents but they could/should
be soft references in this case.